Zig Ziglar gives us some great ideas on how to do some serious goal setting!
When you plan and prepare carefully, you can legitimately expect to have success in your efforts.
Start with these 10 steps:
1. Build a solid foundation. Honesty, character, integrity, trust, love, loyalty. This foundation will give you an honest shot at reaching any goal you have properly set.
2. Make the commitment. The most practical, beautiful, workable philosophy in the world won’t work—if you won’t. As Mary Crowley said, “One person with a commitment is worth a hundred who only have an interest.”
3. Break it down. Break down your intermediate and long-range goals into increments.
4. See it. If you want to reach a goal, you must “see the reaching” in your own mind before you actually arrive at your goal. In your imagination, see yourself receiving that diploma, getting that job or promotion, making that speech, moving into your dream home, achieving that weight-loss goal…
5. Hold yourself accountable. Daily discipline is the key to reaching your goals. Record your progress toward your goals every night, and list the six most important things you need to do the next day.
6. Expect change. Make a decision to move toward a goal carefully—but be willing to change your direction to get there as conditions and circumstances demand. Push on, friend.
7. Tell people. Chances are excellent they’re going to encourage you.
8. Be a team player. You can have everything you want in life if you will just help enough other people get what they want.
9. Write it all down. Each time you reach a goal, your confidence will grow so that you can do bigger and better things. After accomplishing any goal, write about it—in your journal, wherever.
10. Reflect. What you get by reaching your destination isn’t nearly as important as what you become by reaching your goals—what you will become is the winner you were born to be!